Saturday, October 10, 2009

Kindergarten Bus Ride-- One happy boy, one freaked out mother...


This story came up the other day and I thought I should share....... I am just hoping I'm not the only one with a crazy Kindergarten story......


And YES, I am "one of those" moms......at least I was..... ok, ok.........I still am.....


When my oldest rugrat started kindergarten he begged to take the bus on the SECOND day......I was beside myself...... The bus? Really?!? Why? Didn't he want his mommy to drive him. Did I do something to embarrass him already?


Our conversation:

Rugrat: Momma I..i..i..i... want to take the bus to school tomorrow. I...i...i..i... don't want you to take me. Okay Momma?

Momma: "Son, you don't even know how to get to your classroom alone yet.. Momma needs to drive you."

Rugrat: "Yes, I do, Momma. I know how to get there all by myself. I'm a big boy."

Momma: (holding back the tears) "Don't you want momma to drive you?"


Rugrat: "I want to ride the bus like a big boy? Ok, Momma?"


Momma: "Okay, I'll let you take the bus."

***Now you must know that I could hear the school bell ring in my backyard and our bus stop was in front of my house and it was the very last stop, it picked up there and went directly to the school which was about a 1 minute ride around the corner.

So........ I let him take the bus. We wait outside together for the bus to come.


"Yeah!!" he shouts ...........He is so excited here it comes. He gives me a big hug and kiss goodbye and he gets on the bus.

I wave......all smiles. Yelling "I love you son!".... "Have a great day!"... "I love you son!"... " Son!?!? , Son!"....... Wait bus come back ......... I'm not sure if he heard me tell him I love him and I want to make sure he knows to have a good day........


OMG......... I can't believe this....... WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is going to get lost! Someone will take him....... I'll never see him again! OMG......I should have driven him to school.

I run (I used to be able to do this) to the house........ hysterical at this point. MAJOR SNOT BUBBLES....... I pick up the phone and dial.......

ring............ring......

Mom: "Hello?"

ME: "Mom? Mom!?! Mom......ajsdfjdslfjsdkfjsldkfjdslkfjsdfljsdlkfjsdklfjskldfjsdfjskldfjsld" (I sounded like someone talking on the phone on the Snoopy cartoon..but crying at the same time...)

Mom: "What? Stephanie!? Are you OK.?!? Oh my gosh what happened? Stephanie!! Slow down I can't understand you honey, take a deep breath.... Stephanie!?! What is going on? Is everyone okay?...Are the kids ok?"

ME: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ....... The Bus...... waaaaaaaaaaaa... The bus........... he'll be lost...... waaaaaaaaaaaa He wanted to ride the bus........ he won't know where his room is....... WHAT HAVE I DONE!?........waaaaaaaaaa"

Mom: " HA HA HA HA HA HA (yes she laughed out loud at me)... Stephanie, honey, just get in the car and go to the school and make sure he is ok....."

ME: "Sniff, sniff...... OK Mom, that is what I'll do..... sniff, sniff....that is a great idea...Ok.........I'll call you back... I have to go now..... "

Mom: "Ha Ha Ha........ok honey........".... click

I jump in my car.... take the 1 minute drive.....IF that......I'm sure I was there in about 30 seconds. Doing what can only be considered a Nascar maneuver into a parking stall.

Jump out and run up to the fence at the school near his classroom. This lady approaches me (who happens to be the Principal of the school I later found out)....

Looking back, I think she came over to make sure I wasn't there to harm anyone. I looked like I was just coming off of an all night stupor...... RED EYES......RED NOSE...... Rudolph had nothing on me at that moment......

She approaches:


Principal: "Hello, Can I help you?"

Me: "Yes...... my...my......my........waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....sorry.......sniff sniff"

Principal: "Are you okay?"

Me: "Yes, I'm sorry..... My son.....he.....he..... he rode the bus today.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaa......snif snif..waaaaaaaaaaa....sniff ...sniff... I'm sorry...."

Principal: "chuckle.."

Me: "He is in Kindergarten and he said he knows where his class is .....but I'm afraid he doesn't really.......sniff...... I'm afraid he might be lost......"

Principal: Chuckle...... "Actually, he didn't know how to get to his class.....".

Me: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.." ........sniff....sniff.......snot bubble...quick swipe of the tissue

Principal: "It's OK, (she leans in and hugs me....this is how ridiculous I was) he is fine. I saw that he looked lost when he got off of the bus and I just walked him to his class. He is in his classroom now....don't worry, he is fine"

Me: (diarrhea of the mouth moment)......" Oh thank GOD! I knew he didn't know where his room was, I never should have let him take the bus on the 2nd day of school, No, the 2nd day of Kindergarten, what kind of mom does this?..... I can't believe I let him talk me into this. Oh thank GOD he is ok..... I should have followed the bus here, I went in and called my mom and she told me to come here and just make sure he made it to his class..... so that's what I did, and then I saw you......and OMG I'm so sorry I must sound like a crazy person..... I'm just so nervous. He is my first child to go to Kindergarten (AS IF SHE COULDN'T TELL)..and I am just a wreck.. I'm so sorry"

Principal: HA HA HA...... giggle....giggle.....hand on my shoulder.. "It's ok...... you aren't the only mom who has a hard time the first week of school....."

Me: "Ya, but I am the only mom BAWLING like a baby in the parking lot AFTER she finds out her son is safe and sound in his classroom..... thank you so much........ (here comes the diarrhea mouth again)...... thank you for being there, thank you for taking him to class and thank you for talking me off the ledge..."

Principal: "It's not a problem. Have a great day....." (my queue to leave so she can get to work)

Me: "You too! Thanks again!" (smile.....thru the remaining tears and swollen eyes)

I walk to my car........... I sighhhhhhhhhhh.........


And I start talking to myself...... "ok, Stephanie, he is fine.....sighh....... i can't believe he told me he knew where his class was....... Ahhhhhhh,,,,,,sighhhhhh. Thank GOD he is ok.......sighhhhhh......... Wait till he gets home, I told him he would get lost!........ Ok, off the ledge......he is okay, that is all that matters............ sighhhhhhh...... Sniff...Sniff...... sighhhhhhhhhhh"


I'm home..... I pick up the phone to call my mom back.....

Ring...... Ring........

Mom: "Hello?"

Me: "Hi, Mom....... He is ok."

Mom: "Oh good, See he knew where his class was......"

Me: "NO, HE DIDN'T.!.... The principal took him to his class...."

Mom: "HA HA HA HA....."

Everyone found this day funny except for me..........

Well, That was almost 15 years ago....... Now, I find it funny.....

******I'll share the first day he drove himself to high school soon........ I'm almost ready to laugh at myself about that day...... My little sister got the phone call that morning..... lucky girl......


Ciao Bellas~

7 comments:

  1. I am in TEARS reading this bus story!! my bus story is similar except our son's 2nd day of Kinder, he too wanted to ride the big boy bus, so we stood out with him, bus pulls up, we hold back the tears, hugs/kisses, bye bye mommy, bye Chris, have a great day, watched bus leave, JUMPED in car actually followed bus entire route, hoping son was in front seat looking forward and NOT back at crazy mom following, did that same Nascar manuver into parking lot, ran to bus in time to snap his pic getting off the bus at school!! he's now in 8th grade and WANTS me to take him to school now! go figure! gotta love em!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....... I feel so much better.... See I'm not alone. I just wasn't smart enough to get in the car fast enough to follow it to school. Seriously was a crazy woman! I'll be sure to keep posting other events in my life that seem to still have people laughing (at my expense I might add)..... Sadly there are plenty to tell!

    Keep an eye out, I'm going to be doing a give away in the next couple of days.... I'm so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE this story!! Can't wait to hear the one about him driving himself to school the first day. I tell all my friends about that. Had you not stopped crying and started talking finally I was about to get on a plane to California since something obviously horrible had happened. LOL

    Thank goodness we live so close to Andrew's school we can walk. No school bus worries for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And another time the same kinder year, same son was terrified of sub drivers so one day he had a sub for the ride home and he was so hysterical, he had the "sub" drop him off at his grandparents who live on the route about 3-4 miles from our house BUT....they werent home! they were at thier cabin. LUCKILY they came home a DAY early only to hear a sobbing little boy coming from a trailer in the yard, upon investigation she discovered it was her own grandson, he was so hysterical she called me to ask how he got there, I was ELATED that he was found because the bus NEVER dropped him at home and I had called the school to find out why and so called "sub" couldn't remember WHERE he dropped him so after calling school again and reaming them I went and got him! OMG I was SO scared and he NEVER rode the bus again till about the 3rd grade! and if it was a sub his dad had to take him cuz he WAS NOT getting on that bus! lol he's in 8th grade now and STILL prefers to be driven LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's the kind of stories I'm looking for! That would have freaked me out!

    OMG... HEllo people....kindergarten!! These children are 5 years old...... Oh my goodness!

    Most 8th graders prefer to be driven I think. Although my girls 5th and 6th love to ride the bus... they don't like me to drive them to school.

    go figure....... maybe if I combed my hair first.. I'm just thinkin' outloud....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waiting for posts cous!! I love your blog-update please?? lol can't wait to see the Halloween ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Stephanie,

    There was this one time I can't remember what grade I was in but I would guess like the 2nd or 3rd and the bus broke down it didn't even make it to the school to pick us up! oh yeah let me tell you my mom had it in my head so hard not to get in the car with a man inless they new our pass word (Big Toe) LOL well anyway's the principal witch was a man and that was a NO! NO! Mom told me never to get in the car with a man. So I cryed and screamed and would not get in the car! He was mad!lol He called my mom and she said just put a woman in the car and she will go.So the lady that worked in the office had to go. Needless to say the Principal was Very Very Mad. And my mom was so proud of me!(Mixed signals)I didn't know how to feel but the Principal got even more Pissed when my mom said Good Girl.LOL I hope I don't have any Prob. When Javeon get's to Kindergarden. But your story did have me crying with laughter.Love You!

    ReplyDelete